The dried leaves of white sage are typically used in smoking blends to improve mood. White sage promotes feelings of relaxation and also boosts memory. When smoked alone the flavor can be intense, so it is often mixed with mullein. White sage also helps to clear the throat, lungs, and sinuses of congestion.
Table of Contents
Effect: Relaxing and the “high” is more potent than Damiana
How is it: hard on the throat if you don’t have a bong
Pro: Cheap, great on its own or mixed
Benefits: Remedy against a cold, reduce secretions in throat, lungs, and sinuses. Relaxant
Review: Like wine, it took me some time to fully enjoy it. I love it now, and it smells nice.
Did you know you could purify a room with white sage?
White sage (Salvia apiana) is a herb native to the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico. It has silvery- green leaves with a fuzzy coat. The united states Department of Agriculture believe that white sage was used by the Native Americans in tightly-bound or smudge sticks of stems and leaves. In some other tribes, like the Cheyenne Indians, it was used to clear negative energy in sacred spaces by burning smudge sticks around the border of ceremonial altars. The leaves were scattered around alters and sweat lodges to keep away evil spirits.
The natives used it in many ways. The leaves were used to flavor foods and were also eaten and smoked. They also made straighteners, shampoos, and dyes by crushing the leaves and mixing them with water. Also, it was used to clean the eye by rolling its seeds under the eyelids.
Its medical applications are quite numerous. According to USDA, white sage decrease sweating, salivation, milk secretions, and mucous secretions of the sinuses, throat, and lungs.
- In women, it reduces heavy menstruation when the leaves are made into a uterine hemostatic tea and drank. Breastfeeding women are advised to take the tea as it reduces lactation.
- The Native Americans used it to treat a cold by drinking tea made from smoked leaves in sweat lodges. The tea relieves mucous secretions of the lungs, throat, and sinuses that accompany colds.
- The Kiowas are believed to have used the plant in the treatment of respiratory problems and also to loose phlegm in the throat and lungs. The tea is drunk to soothe digestion problems.
- Its roots were used by the Native American women to bolster internal bleeding and to expel afterbirth after they had given birth. This has made the United State Department of Agriculture consider the tea to be effective in reducing lactation when a baby is being weaned from breastfeeding.
- The herb may be used in treating wounds in order to prevent inflammation and infection as they possess antiseptic properties. It may be used in the treatment of fungal infections and candida, and may be useful for lung infections and staph.
Effects of smoking white sage
I smoked a bowl of dried white sage about 10 mins ago, and I definitely have some sensations of the effects. My extremeties are tingling with a sort of vibrate-y feel, and I have some sensitivity to light (no pain, but a sense of wonder over it). No haziness, but sort of a cloudy feeling.Al Quimica experience report on Erowid.
My personal experience with White Sage was also positive. It’s a herb that can cool you down and help induce a feeling of relaxation. You might be interested in this article about 15 flavorful herbs you can smoke featuring white sage and providing a crash course about how to craft an herbal blend.
The use of white sage is legal in all states.
Where to buy White Sage
In an effort to increase product discovery, we’ve aggregated and curated products from trusted sellers. Please note that this new feature is in beta!
We might do a small commission when linking out toward merchants products. This helps us pay for marketing initiative and content such as this article.
Nicolas ‘Axel’ Duval is the founder and content editor of this website. He launched Smokable Herbs in 2011.
As an herbalist and marketing enthusiast, he used Smokable Herbs as a sandbox to test ideas and deploy content.
When he’s not busy working his full time job, he can be found editing this website.
Smokable Herbs pride itself in crafting high quality content centered around plants and herbs with rich history.